Thursday, February 23, 2012

For All You Lovers...



This post is something that is out of the ordinary for me, but I had to share! I'm not really a bookworm but since recently graduating, I've been reading my fair share of books including a couple by Dr. Gary Chapman. The first one I would like to talk about is The 5 Love Languages. I actually got this book by accident lol. It was 50% off at a Berean Christian Bookstore, I believe in honor of Valentine's Day lol. I got it confused with this other book that I heard about, Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married. At any rate, I still chose to read it, because I knew a couple of Bible study groups that were encouraging people to learn their "love language." So far, the book has been really good and is helpful for those single, married or dating! The author discusses 5 major ways people tend to show their love and affection to the ones they care about, and how to discover your own love language. The 5 love languages are: words of affirmation, quality time, gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Find out how you best receive love! Here's a link to the website to take the quiz for the 5lovelanguages. I highly recommend all to take a gander! ;-)

The next book I'd like to talk about is Things I wish I'd Known Before We Got Married. By the title I guess you can tell this books is geared towards those either single, dating or engaged. It does however, shortly cover the 5 love languages but does not go in depth. Dr. Chapman focuses in on different personality types and how they may conflict, ways to solve disagreements, forgiveness, reasoning with one another etc. It helps a couple, or individual who is looking to get married, be better equipped to spend a lifetime with the one you choose. I know some may think this is common sense, but this book actually helps you apply your common knowledge in practical ways. One of his main points that stuck out to me was, "being in love is not enough to make a successful marriage." Very true, but no one seems to give this point any consideration. Though "love" should be one of the reasons a couple decides to wed, it should not be the sole reason, as marriage is so complex, a couple should really take the time to get to know one another before making the decision to become one flesh.

Both books are an easy read, they're not overloaded with information, yet not too simple where you feel you could have written the book yourself. It's obvious that Dr. Chapman has done his research and applied everything he observed in his own marriage, and the marriages of his clients. He has made a way to help others be able to achieve what he and his wife have with much less heart break and confusion. I think these books are to be read intently, and possibly studied to either improve a relationship/marriage, or to help one prepare for a marriage/relationship.

Enjoy! :-)

Kamaria

2 comments:

  1. Great post Kamaria! I might have to check these books out one day. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandon! : ) If you get a chance to read either book, please let me know your thoughts. God Bless!

      Delete